Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kira-Kira


The book kira-kira is about two Japanese sisters who grow up together and have a very tight bond. In Japanese, kira-kira means glittering. Lynn is the older sister who would spend all of her time teaching Katie, her younger sister, the ways of the world. To Katie Lynn was a total genius and they would do everything together. Lynn was Katie’s everything and without her, she would be lost. Their family was very poor and struggled through hard times. They were discriminated against so much in this book and they were always put down. As a family, they fought through it. They were extremely loyal to their beliefs and they stood strong when it came to their ethnic background. Katie loved to make the traditional rice desserts and things including rice. Also, their family was the way that a Japanese family would be as in roles in the house. Even though they were treated badly because of who they were, they stuck to who they were and it made them stronger as people, as a family, and as much more. Through this book I did not have many questions. The questions I did have were usually vocabulary words. If I were to write about this book then I think I would write about how the family stayed strong through Lynn dying and being discriminated against and such. If not, then I would write about how they stood loyal to their Japanese culture and in what ways. This wasn’t necessarily my favorite book because it was sort of sad and at some times boring but it was a very touching book and it reminded me of the relationship I want to have with all of my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment